As the Program Director, the incumbent is responsible for the direction and implementation of a energy storage program that will test and evaluate stationary energy storage systems, emerging commercial electricity storage systems and long term, high risk energy storage systems. The research projects under this three phase energy storage program will be funded for 3 to 5 years with an annual funding base of $2M to $4M.
Additionally the Program Director will be Principal Investigator (PI) for California Energy Commission, US DOE, and ARPAe grant programs that will satisfy smart grid function(s). This program is a key project within UCSD’s Strategic Energy Initiatives housed within Resource Management and Planning division and the Center for Energy Research.
- Academic background and recognized expertise in multiple disciplines of research. M.S. in science or engineering with 15 years progressive experience; or equivalent education and relevant experience
- Demonstrated cutting-edge research capabilities. Recognized as an expert in the scientific community based on a history of accomplishments and the success of completed projects.
- Advanced scientific and technical expertise in current and emerging energy storage systems.
- Advanced scientific and technical expertise in energy storage devices such as batteries, ultra-capacitors, flywheels and compressed air energy storage.
- Management experience in academic and/or government agencies. Strong set of leadership skills including organizational, problem solving, negotiation, decision making, research and analysis, and interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Expert oral and written communication skills with a broad community of other researchers and scientists, industrial partners, program managers, funding agencies, media, and center managers.
- Proven expertise with program building within a leading academic institution. Ability to manage collaborations between academia, industrial and/or governmental agencies. Ability to develop and implement innovative programs or research agenda.
- Demonstrated advanced analytical skills and interpretation of scientific results in the areas of energy storage systems and energy storage devices.
- Proven experience thinking strategically and creatively, anticipating industry and research trends, and to translate that thinking into cogent plans for a diverse research program. Experience in applying creative and non-standard ideas and concepts to produce usable and innovative results.
- Proven advanced analytical and statistical skills to evaluate information, procedures or situations to define a problem or objective, identify relevant concerns, recognize alternatives, and formulate logical and objective conclusions.
- Technical project management skills to oversee the progress of several research experiments at different locations (including subcontract sites) to ensure that milestones are met in a timely manner.
- Prior experience working effectively in a team environment to reach organizational objectives by successfully planning and organizing projects involving multiple steps and participants, delegating work to staff, and maintaining time schedules and budgets
- Demonstrated experience to serve as Principal Investigator and/or Project Director, and write and coordinate large complex proposals.
- Demonstrated expert ability to work with dynamic and diverse group of faculty, staff and students.
- Occasional travel to collaborating research sites, funding agencies and conferences.
- Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.