CSA Group has an immediate opening for a Product Safety Engineer located in Cleveland, Ohio. This position will provide high quality certification services which meet the clients’ needs in the most efficient and effective manner possible, while ensuring safe products are available in the public marketplace. This activity requires interpretation of standards, processes and procedures. Makes technical decisions based on a high degree of knowledge, training and experience on certification and testing to maintain the integrity of CSA’s global certification programs.
• Independently manages certification projects concurrently ensuring compliance with all applicable safety requirements achieving completion within time frames and cost deadlines.
• Evaluates products against requirements of the national / international standards and precedent decisions.
• Handles a wide spectrum of projects including those that are complex generating high revenue levels
• Delivers assigned projects / tests within agreed timescales the majority of the time
• Demonstrates the ability to accurately manage project costs within the agreed budget
• Able to maintain good productivity in line with company expectations
• Reviews test data and reports and authorizes application of the CSA Mark. Prepares and / or signs Certification Reports and Certificates of Compliance.
• Keeps the Product Group Manager informed of project status as required, pointing out major problems and non-compliance.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Product Group Manager.
• Evaluates and qualifies companies in the administration of Certification Programs. Reviews customer test methods and systems; reviews new / old product designs and all applicable documentation. Ensures all test equipment and quality procedures are within guidelines. Provides technical briefings on new and existing requirements. Authorizes application and / or removal of the CSA Mark.
• The qualified Certifier is accountable for including the Technical Advisor or Certification Specialist in product / technical discussions that are unique to CSA or to the experience of the individual. This aids the Technical Advisor and Certification Specialist to further advance consistency of practices and to provide guidance at the front-end of the process.
• Provides technical information service to external and internal customers including those forwarded by the Client Service Center. Liaises with customer in design stage to ensure requirements of national / international standards are met without compromising confidentiality.
• Works with sales to support current clients and develop new client opportunities to support growth
• Prepares project quotations for cost and time. Classifies product by use, environment and function. Determines applicable requirements / test / standards. Determines sample requirements and method / location for testing / evaluation best suited to customers’ needs.
• Provides client feedback to Managers, Team Leader or Sales representatives, as appropriate.
• Explains the different product certifications programs available to clients and the requirements for control of production.
• Performs within established DQD guidelines.
• Prepares Test Lab Work Orders and Special Testing Documentation that includes details regarding applicable sections of relevant standards, test sample plan, data collection methods and tables, Job Hazard Analysis, and any other instructions.
• Provides necessary guidance to Lab Technicians to ensure proper application of requirements and data collections methods are in line.
• Able to demonstrate experience of performing common testing within CSA laboratories
• Makes field trips and witnesses test work at manufacturer's facilities as required.
• Has a good knowledge of the clauses and tests within the standards they support and can demonstrate application across multiple product types.
• Demonstrates the ability to compile evaluation record, data and summary test results into forms, templates and checklists without the need for supervision.
• Demonstrates the ability to correctly interpret the results from the tests with only minimal guidance and supervision